Skip to content

SkEye App

SkEye aims to be an advanced planetarium for Android.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome here. For submitting bug reports, it is better to raise a ticket.

Please submit each idea separately. Even if two ideas are related, it helps to track them separately.

77 results found

1. Increase upper limit of the "Label Scale" setting

Adding "Label Scale" setting (in Map Settings->General) was excellent idea, however the current maximum of that setting is too small. Increasing the maximum would allow short-sighted users to avoid using eyeglasses during observing sessions.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. I have bumped the upper limit of the label scale to 4 (from the current limit of 2).

If that's not sufficient, let me know. I am hesitant to bump it beyond 4 because it might fail in some unforeseen way.

The changes will be available in SkEye 9.0. 

Note: The Pro version is rolling out this month. The Free version will probably roll out next month as it needs some more work.

2. Wikipedia link from info pointing to localized version

When the app is using localized object names ( i.e. "Luna" in Italian, "Moon" for English, the Wikipedia link available from the info window is pointing to english wikipedia.org, sometimes leading to non existing pages. Adding ISO language codes to the link (for the example above "it.wikipedia.org") should point to the correct page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Show eta Carinae

Eta Carinae and its nebula (NGC 3372) is some of the most conspicuous objets of the southern emisphere

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This was indeed a glaring omission that has now been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Both the free version and pro version now have Eta Carinae in the list by default.

4. Save the alignments for later reuse

I would suggest adding an option in general settings, to save all the alignments before exiting the app.
    At app start a reminder can be displayed: “Do you want to delete old alignments?”
    Imagine you go out with the telescope, make some alignments but after a while take a break or exit the app by mistake.
    Having the telescope in the same place, it makes sense (imo) to keep the alignments.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been implemented in version 8.1, which is currently being rolled out to Beta channel.

Alignments will be automatically saved as soon as they are added. They will survive app closures, and even device restarts. Alignments older than 18 hours will be automatically deleted.

And now, an indicator is shown on the map screen when alignments are active.

5. Alt /Azimuth alignment for easy rough non stellar or daylight alignment

If an object say "Alt/AZ' at 45 degrees altitude, due North was added to the database then a rough alignment could easily be done even under cloudy skies ready for the clouds clearing,or broad daylight avoiding the sun. Skeye would be able to translate the alt/az coordinates to R.A and Dec for the current time and location and commit the alignment. Yes, it would be only a rough, one position alignment , but it's easy to point due North and have the telescope tube at 45 degrees without any reference to the sky. This would be easier than the previously…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. add separate date/month/year dropdown for time machine

Currently the time machine needs manual scrolling with uneven size of the calendar box. It will help greatly if the date selection can be done with a drop down of the date/month/year to determine historical and future object positions. This is already available with the time selection.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When in the Indirect mode simplify the steps to choose specific stars, either in a search window or alphabetically

It takes far too long to find a specific star (i.e. Polaris).
    Please provide either a Search window to enter the name, or choose a star by selecting the Alphabetic group (i.e. "P" for Polaris).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When you are looking at the list of objects to align, there’s an input box on the screen where you can type the name of the object. It also accepts a partial name, so that you just type “pola” to find “polaris”.

If this isn’t what you were looking for, let me know in the comments. Thanks!

8. Allow one to search for an item when it is outside of the current display filter settings

NGC 6572 is very small, but viewable from modest scopes once you find it. Setting the filters to allow its display currently clutters the screen to the point of being very hard to see any stars.

Perhaps allowing an option to select from the full list of NGC or IC catalogs and display the object selected would be useful for finding objects like this.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Southern Celestial pole star

Include Sigma Octantis in the basic database,the closest naked eye star to the Southern Celestial pole.
    Used to align basic camera to take star trails photos.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In order to include Sigma Octantis, I had to bump the number of named stars from 1200 to 2400!

I had to also enable searching bayer designations by name. For example, searching for sigma would search for “σ Oct”.

Will be available in next release.

10. Polar Alignment...

I would like to know if its possible to use SkEye to perform a polar alignment of my equatorial wedge/fork SCT for use with astrophotography? It does not seem so obvious to me how it could be done as one must essentially figure out the relative orientation of the mount's axes to the celestial axes and then give the user some info about how to realign the mount's degrees of freedom. I am in the Southern Hemisphere and it is very difficult to perform polar alignment here.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Polar alignment through SkEye Cam is working well in multiple tests. The accuracy achieved can be within 5 arc-minutes or better.

In contrast IMU based polar alignment is highly unlikely to be accurate. Hence, closing this.

11. Allow a user to "search" for particular sky coordinates

When trying to locate an object based on a chart in a magazine, I would like to be able to enter RA/Dec or Alt/Az coordinates of an object into SkEye and be directed by the tool to that spot in the sky (without having to specify a star or other object to "search" for). This would be useful for, say, comets that appear for a short time then are gone.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Pro should have more stars than free version

May be a bug, not an idea. Asus Memo tablet hardware. Upgraded to Pro, and found far fewer stars than the free version. I'm running both side by side, in Neptune area, and no comparison. Free version is way busier there. Will continue to use Free until it's ironed out. I like SkEye. A lot.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Would like to see the ability to locate the ISS using SkEye. It would make it that much easier to locate through your app.

Since your app makes locating Stars and Planets so much easier, just by pointing ones phone towards the night sky, why not give it the ability to locate and track the ISS International Space Station.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add more stars from Tycho2 catalogue

Mag 10 is not enough. Please add the stars from Tycho2 catalogue to reach mag 12.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The pro version now contains the entire Tycho2 catalogue.

The free version contains stars upto 9.5 mag.

This was released in September 2021, but I forgot to update here. Thanks for your patience :)

15. Horizion indicator and selective object visibility

1. Could you make the horizon indicating line a bit bold or prominent. The problem is that while using skeye in manual mode, its difficult to make out where the horizon is esp at high zoom n when lines of large constellations cut across the entire screen.
      Also there is some other line which, just like the horizon line, passes throughout the 360` view. It is confusing. I had turned off both the Altaz and EQ grids when I saw this.

2. I would like to have an option wherein I can either (or multiple options) of the following to be visible-…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the detailed idea Sanket. Most of what you have mentioned has been implemented in the latest release of SkEye, via the “Quick settings” feature.

Have a look at this video:
    http://youtu.be/61au6VQTZRU

The “other line” that you mentioned is probably the Ecliptic line. I need to add labels to these lines.

16. provide the setting mentioned in "Tips"

where it says "... can be disabled in Settings" - but there is no option to do so anywhere in Settings.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

@Lothar,

Under general settings, you should be able to see a checkbox for “Magnetic field warning”. Try disabling the checkbox.

Let me know if that doesn’t work.

17. Learn about the sky at home

SkEye as a learning instrument: Already great because H.A. Ray's connecting lines are used for delineating the the constellations (as the only app I know).
    I'd like to be able to quickly increase or decrease the amount of information on screen. So, how about implementing a button row for toggling on and off the names of stars and constellations, as well as the constellation markings.
    One final issue: Am I the only one who misses a horizon?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add a filter to only display certain objects in the fov

It would be nice to be able to filter out different layers (galaxies, stars, planets, meteors, satellites etc)

Also beta 6.3 working good on my s4 FYI :)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ground plane is available in the recently released version 6.1

Note: you can change the opacity of the ground plane through “Quick Settings”.

Thanks for creating this idea!

20. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)