Skip to content

SkEye App

SkEye aims to be an advanced planetarium for Android.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome here. For submitting bug reports, it is better to raise a ticket.

Please submit each idea separately. Even if two ideas are related, it helps to track them separately.

77 results found

1. auto rotate user interface (landscape mode)

I'm using this on a tablet, but I don't hold my tablet in portrait mode, I hold it with both hands usually or with one hand on the bottom in landscape mode. However the user interface does not auto rotate with the rest of the star chart. It would be nice to have everything rotate when the device switches from one orientation to another, not just the star chart. Would make this more tablet friendly. :)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Sal,

There is already an option to do this. Menu → Settings → Principal Orientation.
    Can be set to Auto, Portrait or Landscape. I would recommend the latter for you.

cheers,
    Harshad

2. Improvements to search

1) Color code currently unobservable entries as another color. Further color coding can be done for objects just above the horizon (alt < 10 degrees).

2) Setting to filter out objects below horizon completely. (They do get filtered automatically when looking for objects to align, but would be good to have an explicit switch).

3) Remember the "Sort Objects" setting (it currently initializes to sort by name)

4) typing "M1" (no space) or "crab" should bring up the "M 1" entry.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There were two things remaining in this thread:

1. Ability to hide objects below the horizon. This has been indirectly achieved by changing the way search results are prioritized. Now, all objects below the horizon will appear at the bottom of the list when “sort by ease of viewing” is selected. Adding another option would have taken up too much screen space.

2. The issue reported by Adrian Fabry: Searching for “alpha Eri” doesn’t work. I have posted it separately here: https://skeye.uservoice.com/forums/93533-ideas/suggestions/41872951-searching-alpha-works-but-alpha-eri-doesn-t-wo

3. A few usability suggestions

Thanks for this awesome app! A few usability suggestions:

1) when in manual mode and a search is done, jump directly to the searched object (a la Google Sky Map). I don't see a reason to have the user still have to scroll to the object manually.

2) When the cursor goes over certain objects, sometimes the name is too long and the upper text wraps to the next line, pushing down the zoom and align buttons, sometimes throwing me off when I'm trying to push them. Fix them in place somehow (e.g. truncate the labels or relocate buttons)

3)…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The manual mode now works as mentioned in #3. It now tracks RA + Declination so it automatically compensates for Earth’s rotation. It also works the same way in the Time Machine.

1. is a hard one, because figuring out the correct truncation size for various combinations of phone size, phone orientation, font style and font size is hard. In addition, some users might not want the truncation, which means an extra option in settings.

Thanks for the ideas. If #2 is still bothersome, please create a separate idea for it.

4. In SkEye Pro, add option to show or hide artificial satellites

(SkEye and SkeyePro are superb apps, thank you for creating them!)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Change the color of the search rectile while in Night Mode

When using Night mode or a screen mask such as Chainfire 3D(night mode) the search rectile going green makes it harder to see when it gets closer to target. It virtually disapers. When you're zoomed in close it makes finding the object your're looking for a bit hard.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make the heading text less bright compared to the sky map

Last week I used SkEye Pro for the first time for observing with binoculars at a dark site outside the city. SkEye's heading lines (showing the object position, name, and description) were a lot brighter than the actual sky map in night mode, which made the objects and labels in the sky map somewhat difficult to see. Perhaps that is caused by the display of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) or by my eyesight, but I believe that the heading text really is brighter. This is partly because the heading text fonts have broader strokes than the text and lines…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This was reported by a number of users. So I have made changes similar to what you have suggested in the latest version.

Thanks for the detailed report Alastair.

7. stopped unexpectantly

I have downloaded SkEye for my android tablet and everytime I add my location a notice pops up and force closes and says:
    The application SkEye (process com.lavadip.skeye) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I am running Model I10-50 Android Version 2.3.1

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show the Galilean moons of Jupiter, and perhaps also Titan

This would be helpful to star-gazers with binoculars. Jupiter and its moons are an arresting sight in the Southern Hemisphere at present.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add configuarable Telrad circles

Add standard Telrad circles as an option to the star map. You can see a good example in the Palm PDA software found at http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/. See pg. 25 of their manual.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are now smarter Telrad circles in SkEye which show their diameter in degrees and also show the directions like North, South.

However, the circles are not configurable.. they scale automatically according to the current zoom level. I think this might be sufficient, but please let me know if it isn’t.

10. Direct User to Object After Long Press In Manual Scroll Mode

Love the progam.

One suggestion:
    In Manual Scrolling mode, allow the user to do a 'long button press' on a star object. The program would then exit Manual Scrolling and direct the user to the object using the green circle pointer.

Thank you for your fine work and I will get the paid version.

Mark

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is implemented in version 5.3 released today. Thanks for suggesting.

There is now a search button beside the object description (on top). Clicking this will start searching that object.

It will not switch out of Manual scrolling mode however, since there are multiple uses for this feature. Switching out of manual mode is just one of them. To switch out of manual scrolling mode, click the “Back” button on top.

11. Prompt user to exit application

During a session I may mistakenly press the Back button and the application just exits without warning. Consider adding an option to prompt the user for confirmation to exit the application. You may make it configurable for those users who hate to be prompted.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now available in the beta channel.

I decided against the “double back” manoeuvre as I thought it a bit inconsistent. You press “back” to cancel something. Pressing it again should cancel the action of cancelling rather than enforcing it. Moreover, if you accidentally hit “back” once, then you are likely to hit it twice.

There is an explicit dialog with a button to exit out of SkEye.

By default the confirmation comes up “Always” but it can be changed in settings to “Never” or “Aligned”.

12. Support for tablets (large size displays)

Good morning Harshad,

Great upgrades. I am getting very close to purchasing a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Does SkEye scale to the tablet?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I just got my Asus Transformer today and tested out SkEye.

It scales well to the Tablet size. Sure, I could optimise for the big size, but it does quite well right now.

13. Save session state

During a session I have a tendency to jump to other applications. The problem is that any settings such as night mode or selected alignment points get reset when switching back to SkEye. Saving the state would make it a lot easier to go back to SkEye. Alternatively, provide an options to keep the application running in the background when the user selects Home or Back (or any operation that would make SkEye lose focus).

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is finally implemented in version 8.1 !!

Alignments are now persistent. The app will remember the alignments by location, even after the app or device restarts.

The alignments are remembered for 18 hours, after which they are automatically deleted. This is to keep the user interface simple.

Version 8.1 is available for beta testing now.

14. How about linking to Heavens Above and plot the sattelite info on the display?

we often have haze near the coast, add light, trees (in my case) etc and its often difficult to see enough stars to identify the constellations it passes through.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I have implemented real-time satellite tracking. It is available as an early preview in SkEye Pro 2.2.

I still need to provide configuration options for it, but the core algorithms have been implemented, hence marking this as complete.

15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Crashes on HTC Wildfire

I have been trying this out on an HTC Wildfire and find that it crashes after first alignment, while searching for the second. Aligned on Altair, then searched for Vega and while lining up the OTA, the phone went back to the home screen. Had to re-enter skeye, re-align to Altair and it crashed again while centering on Vega.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on the logs provided by Alistair, it was apparent that the OS in HTC Wildfire is buggy.

Unfortunately there’s not much I can do about it right now.

17. General Feedback - No new idea

Harshad, I just used your app the other night and as your user guide mentions, observers are best off aligning in the specific areas for which they are observing. It worked flawlessly! I love it and keep up the excellent and outstanding work. Your hard work has paid off for the backyard astronomer. I thank you for allowing your app on the market. I can't wait until my local sky conditions open up again. It made backyard astronomy more fun for my kids!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Although I like coding and astronomy, there are times when programming can be dreary. It is feedback such as this that keeps me motivated and invigorated. Thanks again and wish you clear skies!

18. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. No data base. does not display any names or lables

I have a htc hdma hero rooted and with CyanogenMod gingerbread rom. Skeye 3.1 works fine except displayes no names or lables for anything. Just a screen full of stars and constellation lines. Do I need Pro to get these??

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Journaling...

Add logging functionality accessible to the end user that acts like a journal of objects found. The text to speech function in Android would be a good way to take notes in the field while I'm observing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Nice idea Steve.

Incidentally, Pietro created a very similar idea that has more votes and subscribers.

I can’t merge the ideas in this website (under the free plan). So can you and David please upvote Pietro’s idea?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Don't see your idea?

SkEye App

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base